This pop up desk was the final prototype that I worked on in a team of three as part of a class called Product Design Methodology throughout the fall semester of 2017. My teammates were Daniel Castle and Teni Odumakinde. The pop up desk is meant to be a portable, easy and intuitive to use, and lightweight desk for students on the go.
It is highly modular and, though not demonstrated in the protoype, many additional features, such as a light, a USB bank, and more could be easily added. The prototype does demonstrate a slide out mouse pad, a slide out cupholder and additional space (perhaps for a cellphone), a pencil case space and a general workspace. The height is also adjustable, as well as the angle of the desk.
Our first step was to define the scope of the problem area
Our next step was to research similar products and patent filings
"An enclosure having a front side, a back side, and at least one peripheral edge, the sides and edges together defining an internal volume, the front side including a laptop compartment flap selectively closable to seal a laptop compartment comprising at least a portion of the volume of the enclosure, the laptop compartment flap hinged across a horizontal fold line and pivotable between a closed and an open position, the laptop compartment flap including a stop means preventing the laptop compartment flap from extending past the open position."
We asked a variety of users questions to ascertain the root cause of their problems and discover what aspects of their study routine are most important to them
We then defined the requirements for our product and the specifications that define the acceptance criteria
We sketched a number of ideas, experimenting with different configurations that would allow us to fulfill our design requirements
After sketching, our next step was to create a decision matrix to narrow down the options. We rated our requirements based on importances as either a 1, 3, or 7 and then did the same with how well each solution option fulfils the criteria. The scores are then multiplied by the weights and added to determine which one was the best fit.
|Main Workspace Available||7|
|Large Storage Space||3|
|Intuitive & Easy Setup||3|
|Criteria||Mod Attach||Pop Up||Full Collapse||Flippable||Slide Out||Cube||Removable Legs||Fully Modular||Identical Pieces||Solid|
|Main Space Available||7||7||7||7||7||7||7||7||7||7|
|Large Storage Space||7||7||3||1||1||7||1||7||1||7|
|Intuitive & Easy Setup||148||178||156||160||170||176||124||128||102||192|
Next we used cardboard (and a lot of tape!) to prototype our "pop up" idea, which we decided was the best idea to pursue after our decision matrix and additional conversation
For our final protoype we opted to use balsa wood due to its lightweight nature, low cost, and high strength to weight ratio. We chose laser cutting as our manufacturing method because it is easily and accurately repeatable, reliable, and cheap (free in our case!)
Above: sketches and Adobe Illustrator files for the laser cut of the final prototype
Above: Photographs of the finished piece and assembly process and video of height being adjusted.
Date: Fall 2017
Contributors: Brenna Sorkin, Daniel Castle, Teni Odumakinde
Tags: Engineering, Product Design
Client: GE 5020: Engineering Product Design Methodology
This project an interesting challenge for me because of the engineering focus. I learned a lot about the overall process of product development as well as laser cutting and a little bit of mechanical engineering. I also was able to work on my presentation and teamwork skills.